Thursday, August 31, 2006

recognising the signs

My lover is dark and dazzling, better than ten thousand others! (Song of Songs 5:10)

My boss is really hot. El diablo hot. Dark eyes, dark hair and an arrogant manner that screams for female attention. Points against him are that he is shortish and rather skinny, but he has beautiful chocolate-fountain eyes with a puppy-dog slant, and a smile that hints of both warmth and impudence.

Now is the time to recognise the signs. Herein lies the danger of staff parties and extended exposure. While I can't really prevent our being in close proximity for large portions of the day, I can stop, for instance, gazing at him - and his arse - when he's not looking.

It is so easy to build someone up in your ideals. People who walk this earth with the benefits of high cheekbones and large eyes, or aesthetically proportioned figures and flawless skin are often forgiven their shortcomings more readily than those who aren't quite so attractive. My boss is no one special. He's not that funny, although he has his moments. (Aargh, begone vapid mistress of smitten-ness.) He is not that intelligent. He is not that romantic or affectionate. He doesn't express his opinions at any length. This is a man who, without his conventional good looks, would struggle to make a more lasting impact on the world.

Hmm, that's cruel. But necessary methinks. I need to view him as someone lucky enough to be good looking, not someone who should be admired and longed-for on the basis of these looks.

This is Day Two and I am again at home. It's all much easier when I have nothing but television to distract me. Eventually I'll stop counting the days and sounding too 'holy'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home