Thursday, September 28, 2006

back to the point

Do not defile your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will be filled with promiscuity and detestable wickedness. (Leviticus 19:29)

So back to the point of this whole exercise...

Since starting this blog, almost a month ago, I have been out drinking and dancing just once, when I was on my best behaviour. Over the next few weeks/months I'm going to be seeing more of my friends again and this will involve more nights out, but I am feeling confident.

Students are back this week and I met a very cute fourth year, which was tempting. Fortunately I lost him in the crowd.

One of the things I am hoping to learn from this is to take a step back. Not initiate the conversation or throw myself upon someone for fear they would never want to get to know me if I didn't.

I do have to confess to a flirty text message with a trainee surgeon (half Pakistani and no interest in cricket, this will clearly have no future!) but that was yesterday and this is today and I will not succomb again.

The verse is in reference to a conversation I had with my Dad yesterday. A guy I know - young, brash and not a little annoying when he's on a roll - had said "you are a bloody flirty, you flirt with everyone." In itself this comment shouldn't have annoyed me, because I've had people tell me that since I was a geeky 13 year old. It was more the hypocrisy of his statement, since he went on to tell me about kissing a beautiful student the night before and how it didn't matter that he has a girlfriend because he didn't sleep with this girl.

At home later that night I told my Dad what he'd said and how insulted I felt. He dismissed it with, "we all flirt: you, me, Mum, don't worry about it."

He's great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home