Sunday, September 10, 2006

Saturday afternoon

He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich. (Proverbs 21:17)

I like this bible verse, along with much of Proverbs. While many of the verses in Proverbs are truisms that are repeated throughout every generation and culture, some of them are very specific to the time and the situation in which they were spoken. This one is probably somewhere in between, in that today it would only be uttered on a regular basis by a certain type of person: doom-monger puritan folk. I suppose it's true. What am I saying, I know it's true! Fortunately if I consolidate my existing debts I can continue getting pissed every weekend without the feeling that I'm throwing my income to the liver.


Finished work early yesterday but unfortunately just missed the bus. (If you heard a girl screaming "Wanker" at a Number 1 bus on Saturday afternoon, that was me). So popped into the nearest bar and bought a coffee... except that a few tables in sat my friends Lou and Sue (wow, never said that together before, they sound like a Sesame Street duo). A shot of Jamesons in the coffee and standing in The Eagle watching the United/Spurs match later, I was holding another pint of Harveys (back to that later) and feeling kinda tipsy. I was also flirting with Sue and Sue's boyfriend - I usually put multitasking under Additional Skills on the CV - oh and a guy called Adam, and Sue's boyfriend's flatmate Phil, and Melinda, and staring lustfully at Neil, who's arguably the sexiest man in town. It was at this point that I realised I, and the uncooked chicken I'd bought 3 hours earlier, needed to get home.

It wasn't really self-control on my part, I used the chicken as an excuse, but I didn't stay out, I didn't get wankered and I didn't end up pulling some random. This is progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home